View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #85
sparkydog

The Plan: Cab Location & Next Steps

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and ideas. I had PLENTY of time to sort things out while driving back to Portland from Vista this weekend. I also stopped in Jacksonville and met with my coach/cousin-in-law Terry Simmons from T's Rod and Fab. After all was said and done I have decided that I will stick to my original plan and go for the cab-forward look - and deal with the consequences of that decision. When I get back to Vista, my next steps are:

a) position cab fore/aft at final location and make final trim of GMC firewall/cowl so I can drop the cab down to the approx final ride height. DONE!

b) remove GMC fuel tank and cross member (which need to drop 2" to give me the lowest bed ride height). DONE!

c) cut the forward wall off the bed, shave the taller cross ribs and get it up on the chassis for full scale mockup. DONE!!

d) mess with bed and cab ride heights until they match and clamp off at this position. DONE!

e) proceed with tack welding/fab of cab to floorpan and cowl to firewall. DONE!

f) make final cuts to bed and remove section, proceed with tack weld of shortened bed. DONE!

g) mod/refab new cross member and reinstall fuel tank at lower ride height. DONE!

That ought to give me plenty to do for the next 3 weeks of the build.

Last edited by sparkydog; 05-02-2010 at 08:20 PM.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote