View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 01:28 AM   #17
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Re: HEI Ignition Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrb's70gmc View Post
the ignition wire (to the dist) has power

the engines is running hotter as well and i believe the timing can affect the temp (but im not positive)
What you need to know is if the wire still has a full 12 volts as mentioned before. HEI requires the full 12v for proper fire. That's why I suggested running a temp wire straight from the battery to eliminate that possibility.

The engine will run hotter if the timing is way slow but it will only be a marginal difference. It will also run hotter if you burned a valve. A burnt valve will also cause the rest of these symptoms too. I would get a compression gauge and run a compression test on each cylinder.

Quote:
does anyone know off hand what size the bolt is on the balencer? i want to rotate the motor and get the #1 at TDC so i can re time it (for good)

That is how you rotate the motor manually correct?
The bolt should be a 5/8" but it's best to pull the plugs out or the motor will try to "kick back" on you making it difficult to achieve tdc.

Quote:
is it possible to rotate the oil pump manually so i can get this damn dizzy to sit the way i want it?
Yeah, as mentioned above you can use a long flathead screwdriver or you can get the tool designed for priming an oil pump and use that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby35 View Post
make sure none of your plug wires are crossed I've done that more than once when your in a hury or angery
This is good advice. The firing order is 18436572 and the cylinders on the driver's side front to back are 1357 and the passenger side front to back is 2468. Won't hurt to double check.

Last edited by highperf4x4; 04-07-2010 at 01:30 AM.
highperf4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote