View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 02:23 AM   #120
nrb's70gmc

Re: HEI Ignition Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72swb_327stroker_? View Post
I am thinking it is your timing... how many miles does the truck have?

This sounds very similar to my trucks old 350 that the po installed. The motor only had 60k on it and it stretched the chain enough to do her in.
The timing chain skipped a tooth and did the exact same thing that you said....running hot, poor performance when warmed up, and no power under a load... Now that I am thinking more into all of your posts here, it is very possible. All of your symptoms are on key with timing problems.

Something to consider.

thanks man for the info- so your saying the timing chain could have skipped a gear/tooth?

i am not for sure on the timing chain miles but i do know in 2001 i had a timing gear break (white plastic cam gear) a friend said the factory used the white plasitic grears.

at that time i replaced the timimg set in 2004 i put that same set on my new 350 which has only 15,000 miles on it.
1970 2wd 3/4 ton- 2004 crate 350 thorley tri-y headers-edelbrock performer eps manifold 600cfm performer carb, crane cams energizer cam,lifters, dual 2.5 magnaflows, mallory HEI, powermaster 140 amp altenator, griffen aluminum radiator.(8 MPG)
nrb's70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote