View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 11:43 PM   #206
chevyrestoguy

Re: My 57 Pro Street

Kim-
Thanks for the reply. That answered a lot of questions I had, especially the floppy pushrod on the Hydroboost unit.

Could you move your air ride stuff on the opposite side of your frame?
My truck has a narrowed 9" with 29X15.50 tires, and it's currently in a buddy's shop getting the 3-Link air ride suspension. With the lower links and the bag brackets, the area just behind the cab is going to be tight because I already have a tubular X-member that was part of the original build I did 15 years ago. I plan on mounting my air tanks in the area outside of the framerails under the cab. The compressors are going to be tucked away behind the cab under the bed floor. I really want the mufflers to be as far back as I can get them. I don't want them under the seat.

I'm running a big block. I've already figured on custom headers. I hope I can get the exhaust to run along the outside of the frame and exit behind the cab. I think there will be enough room between the frame and the steps. I will just have to modify the front cab mount for it to go through it.
I was originally planning to run a big block (496) and changed direction because I really want to be able to road trip in the truck. I have a set of Hooker headers that fit awesome, but the collectors will have to be modified to clear the brake bracket. If you're planning to route the pipes to the outside of the framerails, you might have to run a set of fenderwell headers. You're more than welcome to use my headers for a test fit to see what kind of room you have. I was shocked that around the engine and subframe, these big block headers fit like they were designed for the truck. I think that they are 67-69 Camaro headers.

We should try and meet at the Brothers show if you can make it. I've met Kabwe and Tri5 there.
That sounds great. I have been wanting to do the Brothers show since they started doing them, but always seemed to either forget the date or have to work.

I see your in Apple Valley. We almost bought a house out there in 1980
Yeah, I was stationed out here in 1986 to 1990 and wound up getting a job in Palmdale and liked it better out here versus the Antelope Valley. You wouldn't recognize Apple Valley. It's grown quite a bit in the last 10 years. I kind of miss the sleepy little town it used to be because traffic really sucks. It used to take me 10 minutes to get across town, but now it takes almost 20.

Last edited by chevyrestoguy; 04-13-2010 at 11:45 PM.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote