View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 07:05 AM   #199
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW DOUGH View Post
I really liked the part about you and your son going for a ride! I hope that's what my daughter does when she gets older.

Good show!
Thanks, I hope she does too.

"Dad, can we take the orange truck??" I never get tired of hearing that one. A funny side note on the trip to the car show. We were waiting at a light to go under the freeway and make a left on the other side to go up the on-ramp. Light turns green, go forward, make the left, then I get on the gas--nothing spectacular maybe a 50-75% effort if that. We crest the top of the on-ramp and I look over at my boy who had the veins in his neck sticking out, his arms rigidly trying to push himself up out of his booster seat and a look on his face that he is ready to cry.

Me- "The hell's wrong with you??"
Him- "We're going so fast"
Me- "No we're not" as I punch him in the arm, then point and laugh at him. He finds it is impossible to cry while he is laughing so hard.

I think a vehicle can be a great teaching tool. I would always have him out in the shop while I was working on the Sub. Often he was playing in the dirt, but other times he would have his safety glasses or welding helmet on watching me or helping (or playing in the dirt). Get her own safety glasses and gloves or whatever else, so when you are dinking around with something she has her "own" things to use. Have her help you with the simple things so she has a sense of accomplishment on it. Little things like that, I have found, go a long way.

I am pretty sure my boy was the only one in his kindergarten class that knew how to weld and had actually done it. He had watched me a couple times and I asked if he wanted to try. After a couple tries he was actually doing pretty good--for being five and having a #11 shade in his helmet. I don't let him hang around when I am doing anything heavy, but the light stuff I'll let him watch. He enjoys it and I like having him around.