View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #12
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: One More Headlight Relay Thread

Thanks for the input TR, I'll be checking those guys out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 short step View Post
I have an aftermarket wiring harness, so if I upgrade to those newer headlights I will have to run relays correct?
The truth is all of these old trucks should be upgraded to relays even if the bulbs remain stock. There are a number of threads on the web discussing the voltage drop at the headlights with an original 1960 era wiring harness, and something less than 12 volts typically reaches the bulbs after traveling through all the undersized wire, the dimmer switch, and the headlight switch. With relays, full battery voltage (somewhere around 13.5 volts) goes directly from the battery through the relays to the lamps. The dimmer switch and headlight switch merely turn the relays on and off.

Even if a full 12 volts arrives at the bulbs versus 13.5 volts, that's a 12% reduction in power, and a noticeable drop in light output. Also with relays, the lamps no longer dim and brighten with engine speed, since they are receiving full battery voltage all the time. It's an easy upgrade with minimum investment and is really worth the effort.