View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #16
coloradosean2009

Re: How to Make a Homemade Leather Bench Seat Cover

The bench seat that I have gains its support from a series of springs. One of the springs is broken. I have a replacement ordered and I am hoping it will fit. My plan is to sister the new spring next to the old one.

In the meantime, I have a set of pool noodles that I bought at THE Wa*-Ma*t. I have used these in the past to add strength to a seat while not changing the outer dimensions. The funny thing about the pool noodles is they always seem to be just the right size.

In the first couple of photos you can see the vertical orientation that I have been successful in using in the past on a Mercedes 250 bucket seat. This method adds considerable strength to the corner that gets the most use. Every time the driver gets in and out of the seat the corner gets mashed down. By adding the pool noodles the corner is stiff while still allowing for just the right amount of give.

I also am considering laying the noodle in the spring set with a horizontal orientation. This will provide less support but will be uniform along the length. The other advantage of this orientation would be the ease in lashing the noodle to the spingset. I am not sure which orientation I will end up using - any recommendations would be nice.

That is it for me this weekend. I will spend some time during the week finishing up some holes in the leather and preparing to sew the cover together. My goal is to have the cover done by the end of next weekend. Seems lame having the truck out of order just because the seat is in pieces.
Attached Images

Sean
1972 C20
2005 4Runner

coloradosean2009 is offline   Reply With Quote