View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 06:14 AM   #34
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Re: Longbed vs. Shortbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I never cared for things because they are more popular.That`s for herd followers.Trends are set by those who find their own path.There was a time when the herd passed up trucks for cars.That`s when I was one of the rare truck guys around here and it seems it`s the car guys who "only" like shortbeds.I like both long and short,Stepside and Fleetside,1/2t-10 ton,older the better.I`ve had`em all.Shortbeds were traditionally most popular in California and the Southeast back before the big truck boom.There are plenty of other areas that trucks were popular as personal use vehiles in place of a car,but the most you saw a loaded Fleetside shortbed were these areas.Basically,back then these were cars that could haul for those guys.A truck can do what a car does,for 2 or 3 people,but a car can`t do what a truck does.That`s why custom comfort equipment started coming available even back then.Now it`s hard to find a stripped truck.Well,with the economy in the dumps and they high cost of new trucks I`m seeing more "strippers" again.A shortbed may handle a 1/2 a notch better than a longbed,but a longbed rides far better than a shorty.They both still handle like trucks.As far as stylish goes,that`s a matter of opinion.Some would say short looks stubby and long looks sleek.There was a time when length was equated with elegance in the auto world.I`ve seen some damn sexy longbeds in my day.All I know is,with so many of these trucks around,if I want a shortbed I get a shortbed and if I want a longbed I get a longbed.I don`t see longbeds costing any less than shortbeds,either.It all depends on the truck and the buyer.If you want a shortbed you`ll pay more,I guess.I just pay what I feel it`s worth.Paying less for what I don`t want is a waste of money.
x2 only thing i cant see is why chop a long bed to make a short bed with the parts and time it will coast the same to buy an equal condition short bed

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote