View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #127
wwotr

Re: Price of a paint job nowadays?

I thought it was time to resurect this Thread.

The Body work is all done on my 72 Short Fleet.
The Body Shop that did the work, initially quoted me $3K for the Work.
After getting into it, with all the issues, it ended up being approx. $1200.00 MORE.
That wasn't a problem as I "Visited" my Truck 2-3X a week over the coarse of the 2 1/2 Months it was there and saw the work and knew they weren't yankin my chain.
When the new quote came in, I straight up told the owner, I didn't have the extra $1200.00,
and would he let me pay him $200.00 a month, until it was paid off.
He agreed and we wrote up a Contract, and that bill will be paid off next Month.
The guy did me right, by the Work and extending me a payment plan.

My problem is I really don't want to go BACK to him for paint because, the estimate keeps going Up...and up....and up.

Locally here, the paint estimates from 3 shops, for what I want are $4500.00-$6000.00.

I have had 2 other vehicles painted by Macco.
They were both fantastic jobs, but it all boiled down to what type of "Prep Work" was done underneath.
The 1st Car, MACCO did the Body Work/Paint and it came out great.
The 2nd vehicle my Friend did (plus past body work by the previous owner).
Within 6 months after painting the paint was chipping off.

Now the Shop that did my body work, said he had a guy come in with a 69 Camaro and they did the Body Work.
Then they quoted a guy a price on Paint. The guy flat out told him, it was "too much",
so he took HIS Car to MAACO.
The shop owner (where they did the Body Work), said they did the whole car (Color Change) and the Interior.
He said 5 years later it still looked fantastic and that HE couldn't have touched the paint on this guys Camaro,
for anywhere NEAR the price MAACO quoted, which I believe was $3K.

That being said, I took my Truck down to MAACO, and the Estimator, Painter, and 2 Body workers,
that were there in 1994 and again in 2000, are still there!

For a Complete paint job, SS Stripes on the Hood, and painting the entire Interior (same color as the SS Stripes),
I was quoted $3K (or a little under). I figure realistically, I'm expecting about another $500.00-$700.00 in unexpected things to "Pop-up".

So I know the consensus here, doesn't care for shops like Miracle/MAACO, but they've done right by me in the past.

I keep thinking of when my local Body Shop was doing the Bed of my Truck.
The Manager said he could have spent another 12 Hours, doing the Bed of my Truck.
So at $70.00 an HOUR , that's FREAKING ANOTHER $840.00!!!
I told him its just a "Daily Driver" and I'll be putting it into Shows once in awhile, and although they're trying to do right by me, it's NOT like the Bed of my Truck is so bad, it's "Waving" back at me.
I could easily see the paint job at my local shop costing WAY MORE than $3K!

When its all said and done, I'm happy with my Choice.
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"

Last edited by wwotr; 05-14-2010 at 07:22 PM.
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote