View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 12:50 AM   #60
'72customdeluxe

Re: Official Difference btween the 396 and 402 BB Because you asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Carlo Man View Post
The 70 1/2 Z 28 came with a 350 that was conservatively rated at 350 HP, it was actually more like 500. The 400 Small Block Chevrolet was rated at 375 HP.... They had 4 bolt mains also and were discontinued in late 72...
With the 400 - you didn't have to worry about the heads cracking - you knew that they were going to crack around the steam holes. The bigger problem was when the crank fell in the pan because the whole bottom end (block) would crack around the webbing for the main caps and the engine would self destruct. I had one that the rod came out through the oil pan and it still ran and when I took one bolt out of the oil pan, the oil filter fell off - engine block and all.
errm, i'd say 350 gross was about right http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...lley_carb.html
Sure it has compression and plenty of cam, but the heads flow maybe 210 cfm and it's only 350 cubes. Not a recipe for a monster. Through full exhaust, accesories, and stock manifolds it *might* have made 300 at the crank