View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Re: swappin a 292 for a 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
I can't speak for GMC, but on Chevy trucks with manual transmissions the V-8 and 6 cyl bellhousing crossmembers are all in the same location. On my truck a PO did a 6 cyl to V-8 swap and the crossmember was not moved.

Some rodders doing V-8 swaps like to put the front mounts in the forward set of holes on the front crossmember to gain more room for the distributor or valve covers. All of the swaps that I have seen like this were either automatic or had hydraulic clutch linkage. If GM had allowed for the stock clutch linkage to work with the engine in the forward position, I am sure at least some of these swaps would have used it.

The forward set of holes is used the right side only with the 292 because on that engine the locations of the mounting holes (on the block) and the fuel pump were reversed when compared to the 230 and 250 engines.

Ray
So are you saying the four speeds all sat back? it was my understanding that all of the v8 (except 4x4) sat in the forward holes. If so it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong...just ask my wife

The only reason I didn't change to the front holes is because I didn't want to have to get a longer driveline. I didn't even think about the clutch linkage, as a matter a fact I had to modify it to work in my current setup.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's

Last edited by Jacfourteen; 05-31-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote