View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 03:15 AM   #275
Bad71chev406sbc

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Nice build and what a great learning experience, right? I'll be staying tuned. And don't worry....one of those daughters may end up with a guy who's a complete gearhead!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
I'm not really planning on any fancy work in the bed, just fixing the rust holes. It will get a spray in liner and will used as a truck again. I might eventually replace the wheel wells, but who knows. A bed cover will do wonders for making a bed look good.
I highlighted a concern area...

If you go with the real spray in bedliner, it does not like to be modified. It'll peel up like a sheet off a matress. The only real way of doing a good job is stripping it all off and re-shooting. If you were going to do more bed work to it, I suggest doing it before having a nice, professional spray-in done. If you do the DIY kit stuff(roll on, rattle can), that's easily stripable and re-applied in certain areas. The real stuff is a much different case.

This is all really based on the experience with my old '01 F**d Ranger that was rear ended and instead of stripping down to bare and doing it right, the body shop literally pulled up on the 'sheet', used spray-in liner as a glue for the spray-in liner. The results were horrible, wavey, big elevation change, and probably 3/4" thick in some places, while others were the normal 3/16-1/4" tops.

I look forward to updates on this build. Keep it up!! Hope to do what you're doing to mine one of these days.