Thread: Drill bits
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Re: Drill bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
Speed in drilling a hole isn't always the first thing to consider, I use a titanium 3 flute bit but I also do it in stages and use a cutting oil for lubricant. If you push a bit without usi ng cutting oil you will just get it hot and it will wear out quicker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
pilot holes and lubrication makes things go good// too fast a speed burns and dulls the best bits
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
you need to spin the 1/4" drill about 1,500 rpms with just enough force to make small C-shaped chips. Small dusty chips means not enough feed which will dull the drill due to rubbing and long curly continuous chips mean too much feed which will chip out the cutting edges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Best results I've had drilling up to 1/4" thick steel was using the cheap step drill set from Harbor Frieght:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece...lls-91616.html

I start with a pilot hole and use lubricant. I've been using the same set for about 3-4 years, and only recently burned up one step on one of the bits.
All the above. I drill a pilot on most everything above 3/16", use Rapid Tap or Magic Tap and trigger the drill to keep the speed low. Never push the bit, let it cut at it's own speed. If it won't cut, sharpen it.

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.

Last edited by TennesseeZ; 06-15-2010 at 02:59 PM.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote