View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #19
Griffin

Re: GM Steering Column....wiring question

I'm afraid i've only dealt with the NSS on the older columns. Basically a "half moon" shaped item at the base of the column that keeps the car/truck from starting unless it's in "P" or "N". the older ones only have two wires. basically the switch just interrupts the current to the ignition system unless you're in park or neutral. Not sure about the 3rd wire. Get a test light, turn the ignition off and see if any of the wires has any current. turn the ignition on and at least one of them will have 12 volts. that should be the "hot wire" from your ignition switch. one (or both) of the others will be the continuation of the igtnition circuit down to engage the starter. I'm going to GUESS (only a guess) that perhaps the new switches have one wire to engage it when it's in park and one to engage it when it's in neutral. IF (big IF) that's true then you could just jumpt he hot wire to the other two wires and bypass the switch BUT i really don't know how those switches are set up internally. If you have the switch and the connection, why not just use the switch?????????
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote