View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
John Gilbert

Re: '00 2.2 Alternator R&R?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
why the hot coils? are you running 14:1 compression? 4 psi or more of boost? winding above 7000RPM? otherwise you are wasting time and money along with possibly damaging the ignitor and/or ECM. take it from a guy who knows and understands automotive electronics and powertrain management.

I would find out why the OE alt. crapped out. a battery will take an alt. and vice versa.
Thanks, I appreciate your concern for my wallet, but I make my living as a tech editor, and I enjoy learning some things firsthand. While I was the editor of Custom Classic Trucks, my motto was "we make the mistakes, so that our readers don't have to."

7000RPM, really? Sure, I'll wind the little bugger up that far if it's willing to rev that high. Back in the days when I was the editor of Tailgate magazine, we almost doubled the horsepower at the rear wheels with NOS... that was fun.

Addressing the alternator, I've got an idea that the internal voltage regulator packed it in. The voltmeter dropped intermittently for weeks until one night the alternator packed it in completely, and the truck came home on a flatbed. By the way the Auto Club is really good about sending a flatbed if you tell them your truck is lowered. Sometime I'll get around to cracking open the OE alternator, but in the meantime I'll try this Mexican made unit from O'Reilly's. It can't be any worse that the one that came on the truck.... can it?

And thanks again, I really do appreciate you taking the time to reply.
John Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote