View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 01:02 AM   #22
raycow

Re: My T-5 swap all done but got bad trany

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Raycow, I'm curious too. I put a T5 behind a 292, and did need to make up a spacer to center-up the trans front bearing retainer in the bell housing, but I'm under the impression that your #3 & #4 is an either/or. Personally, I cut my pilot bearing (In the flywheel) down to a heavy 1/2", and drove it deep into the flywheel, while cutting about 1/4 inch off of the end of the trans input shaft. These three mods allowed the trans to fit up with no problems.
I had to do something with the mounting bolts....can't remember exactly what it was, and at the moment am too lazy to crawl under the truck and look....
Slomotion, you are absolutely right. #3 & #4 are alternatives. I asked about both just to find out if Blackjeep did one or the other.

When I installed my T-5 I did pretty much the same as you. I did several test fit-ups without the clutch so I could see where the interference was. First was the shaft pilot bottoming out in the crank. Next was the shaft shoulder up against the pilot bushing. Last was the end of the bearing retainer against the clutch disc hub. I know the spacer plate would have solved all of those problems, but I am an old-school rodder and like to do that kind of stuff myself.

On the mounting bolts, you may have needed to enlarge the holes in the ears because the bolts wouldn't go through. Also, I had to use allen head bolts because there wasn't enough room to get a socket on the hex heads.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 07-20-2010 at 01:16 AM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote