View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #83
chevyrestoguy

Re: Chevyrestoguy's '55 build

I'm super-busy at work right now, so I haven't had any opportunities to go to the shop, but Mike has been busy building the bridge that will tie in the forward crossmember, mount the shocks, and secure the fuel cell. here's some progress pictures:

You can see the shock mounts in this shot. The suspension is currently set at the full-up position, so you can see that the shocks are compressed with zip-ties. You will also notice that the old shock crossmember has been removed, as has the old rear crossmember that supported the back of the old fuel tank.

Rear corner shot looking forward

Rear shot looking forward. The tubes have a nice flowing shape, and in this shot you can see the fuel tank cradle. The square section of tubing just aft of the rear axle will house the battery. We've already designed up a cool battery box that will serve some other functions as well.

Here's a shot of the gusset I was telling you about in the earlier post. There will also be a triangular gusset on the forward side as well. It will be smaller to allow the cantilever arm to articulate forward without any interference. The aft side of the arm was also cut away a little more than before to allow sufficient clearance for the arm to travel fully.

The plan is to finish plating and boxing, and do the final welding on Friday. Also, the upper wishbone is going to have some sheetmetal work done at the attach point by the rear axle housing in the next day or two. That will clean up the intersection where the tubes and Uni-Ball meet. You'll like those pictures because Mike's Tig welds are insane....

Last edited by chevyrestoguy; 08-01-2010 at 01:44 PM.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote