View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Different Frame widths?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnocero View Post
I called Flaming River because I wanted to find out more about their bolt-in rack and pinion kit. It is only available for 73-87, because they said the front frame width changed in 73. Anybody know if the frame got wider or narrower? Did the crossmember change a lot too?

They bolt their cradle to the inside of the frame rails, so you have to box the frame to get it to work. They also won't sell the R&P alone without the column and pump, so that makes it $3k. Too much for me. There has got to be a way to do this with a used rack and some steel strap.
The front c.members will swap from later to earlier (I installed a 75 c.member into my 68's frame @ one point) so I don't see why their 'kit' wouldn't work. They prob haven't tried a retro-fit install & have no intention of as a way to limit their liabilty.

That being said..... I've heard more than one guy mention using a 'used' R&P to save money. Why would anyone use a used R&P set-up vs. buying a new/rebuilt unit? I've noticed the prices on the Flaming River 'kits' are 'blue-collar' prohibitive, but a Summit or LAPS R&P isn't when building your own 'kit'.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote