View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #58
hotrod_991

Re: 77 longbed "overbudget" build

ok ladies and gents I tore into the heart of my junk today. First off the ancient cherry picker i rented wat a pain to use. i think it came over on the mayflower. I wanted to work on the motor in my workshop attached to the garage so I set then stand in the door way and tried to move the motor to it thinking if I hook it up in the door way i can just wheel it into the corner by the airconditioner. HAHA thought wrong the hoist would not go far enough into the door frame and the stand was jsut wide enough to no come far enough out so i had to fight and curse and fight alil more but i finally got them mated together. unfortunatly i did not get a picture of that cluster.

Got the motor into the corner of the shop and started taking off the manifold and and the timing cover when i realized that I do not own a harmonic balancer puller. Well one trip to autozone and 22.89 later i have a shinner rented puller and and 3/8 drive ratchet to work with cause i dont have a breaker bar iether. lil more fighting and alot more cursing and it came off. For the future when it goes back to gether I will be buying a two piece timeing chain cover so i dont have to do that again to change a cam.

Got the front taken off checked the chain and gears they are still all nice and tight. bolted the gear back onto the cam so it is easier to remove and pulled out the cam. I took a picture of the cam when i got it set on the bench and not sure if you can see but the last lobe in the secdond set from the front is completely rounded and has flat spot on both sides were it ate the lifter. And it was starting to eat the bottom off another lifter already so deff glad i decided to tear it down and fix everything.
Attached Images

"of course it will hold!, I welded it!"

1977 c10 under knife for full rebuild, 5.3l 4l60e drive rain swap, replacement frame and green repaint
hotrod_991 is offline   Reply With Quote