View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: setting timing in 68 c-10 with 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmurry2006 View Post
Alright she is in time. Did the paper towel inthe spark plug hole trick. Did it 5 times to be safe. Checked out everytime. Rotor at number one and timing mark at 0* everytime. So i' still confused how is it so that I'm at tdc and 0* but with it idling smooth my mark is at the 12o'clock position.

My other question is do all hei distributor use a hall effecct for the vacuum adv. Cuz on my points dist. It moved the points plate. Cuz I still have the issue with not being able to use vac adv. It advances properly watching with timing light it just starts cutting out and bucking and jerking and ending with a big backfire out exhaust. I'm at my wits end i need to get this fixed. Its my daily driver.
I guess you mean that it goes to 12 degrees advance?

So, are you saying that after you static time it to "0" and without reconnecting the vacuum advance you crank the engine and it will move to 12 deg advance?

As I mentioned above, the only thing I know that does that is mechanical advance.

if I were you I'd locate another HEI. Borrow one or find one in the junkyard so you can do another test.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote