View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
acaruth

Re: best way to get your hands on a totaled truck??

Copart and iaai are the two biggest dealer insurance auctions. But like Monte Carlo Man said you have to have a dealer's license to even have a shot at anyone of their vehicles. The good thing about these auctions is that you could almost find whatever you want especially if you're looking for a vehicle that's less than 15 years old and they have an auction in just about every state. I have bought a few from iaai and as of right now my current dd was a salvage that came from iaai. If you know someone that is a dealer and a member of one of these sites and you're still interested then my advice to you is to look for something that looks like it was well taken care of. Look for something that has low mileage. And remember run/drive doesn't always mean it runs and drives, that just means they started it up. Trans could be slipping and there could be other issues with the motor, of course they wont tell you that. Overall it is a gamble so that's why sometimes it's better to go with craigsllist. A buddy of mine just bought an 08' gsxr from iaai that only had 1600 miles, a little bit of fairing damage. The listing said it ran but when he brought it home and tried to figure out why it wouldn't turn over, he then realized the motor was toast. Whoever the previous owner was rode it without ever changing the oil until the motor locked up. Now he's in the whole $4500 and still needs a motor. It's all a risk.
acaruth is offline   Reply With Quote