View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 12:29 AM   #11
dwmurry2006

Re: setting timing in 68 c-10 with 250

basically my confusion arrises from when I had my points in my truck. When that distributor was in there I had the timing set at 4* btdc like I was told to do and it idled as smooth as that old worn out distributor would. you could shut it off put #1 at 0* tdc and pull the cap and the rotor pointed right at #1 pole on the cap.

Now with the hei in there you put #1 at 0* tdc with rotor pointed at #1 pole. start her up and set the timing to 8-10* btdc and its like its too retarded wont accelerate smoothly and when you let out of her she backfires and pops alot, and idles real slow... too retarded correct? so i forget the timing light and time it by ear and then use the light its a couple inches before the timing tab. so I honestly have no clue how many degrees I'm timed at. unless on the tab they go in increments of 1 degrees instead of multiples of 2 like i was told.

Holding the timing light while slowly revving it up the timing doesnt start advancing until like 2k rpms but it advances. (mechanical adv.)
dwmurry2006 is offline   Reply With Quote