View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #257
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

My plans for the build have been evolving almost since the beginning. At first it was just get it running as a beater, then maybe make it street worthy. Then I started learning how to do bodywork and I'm gaining the skills to do better than that. It's now a few years later and my son wants it for when he can drive in just another year and a half.

I had planned to use the dark blue body I traded a pair of fenders for as a replacement for this one. It does need some work, but it was basically free, which is one of the main goals of this build. It needs the windshield frame replaced ( I have one), inner/outer rockers, some floor work, maybe A and/or B pillar patches, driver bed side dents and a gash cut into it, and probably more that I won't find until I start cutting.

On the other hand, I have a yellow body from AZ that is near rust free, needs the passenger bed side pulled out straight, but otherwise is straight and solid. But it cost me $750 or so. I think I'll use the better quality body and save myself valuable time and a lot of hassle.

I had hoped to keep the entire build to less than $1000. Adding this body will almost double the investment, but I think it will be worth it. I think I might be able to complete the entire truck for around $3000, with paint and a fresh engine included. The only body parts left to buy would be a passenger fender, inner fenders, and maybe a couple patch panels. It needs some exhaust pipes, transfer case gaskets/seals, better steering wheel, seat covers, and better tires. There's more of course, but I'm still selling things, still scrounging the yards and talking to people, still learning, still happy when I'm turning a wrench, still willing to shake rust into my face with a power tool underneath the beast.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote