View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #49
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Dan's '46 - Some Small Stuff Done Today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-TEN View Post
Dan, did you ever figure out the cowl rubber? Here's my take. You don't have the correct one. You have a perfect rectangle and it has a lip or two. The correct or repop ones should have a "bend" in the middle of the two long sides. Kind of like a boomerang. So, throw that one aside and get a repop from Carter or however, and lay that baby in there.
As to the gauges, maybe you could mount them in the glove box. It's been done before. Personally, I like the stock look, and if I needed a tach, then I'd add a Sun onto the column. If you mount them in the header panel, realize that there isn't a lot of space in there due to the wiper motors. (I have a GMC which has 2 motors. Maybe your chevy only has one?)
Wiper motors? I don't need no stinkin' wiper motors!

Seriously, I MUCH prefer the stock look too and would have gone that way but at the time I was watching every penny (still am!) and had not yet gotten the re-wiring done. A restored gauge cluster with update to 80 psi for oil pressure and 220 or 240 max water temp would have been a lot more costly than the way I went. So that is a long term plan - to return to a stock restored but updated (oxymoron) cluster.

Yeah, I already figured out the cowl vent rubber is the wrong one. I've been on hold on my truck for the most part because my daughter got married May 30th ($$$) and my stepson is getting married in two weeks (Yeeesh...$$$...again). I have a LOT of things i can do though that don't require money so much as dedication. I'll get back on it soon then:

Pull Jag rotors & turn/replace them
R&R Rear end & tranny fluids
Sand/POR-15 (or Master Series - haven't decided) interior roof - install headliner
Pull bed and wire brush/paint rear half of rame
...and on and on and on...
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote