View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 07:35 PM   #264
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

I had a full day of cutting and grinding on the frame today. I got all of the mid cross member swapped out, and the body mounts that were rusted bad. Here are the new parts, this was after removing 30 rivits...

Here is the crossmember and body mounts bolted back in, after removing another 18 rivits

The new rear body mount in, only 2 rivits...

And I removed the rear cross member because it was rusted through on the passenger side, and I had one from another frame. I thought I had scrapped it, but found it inside a blazer tub. Another 4 rivits. No picture of that.

Then I decided to siphon the gas out of the tank and the easiest access was to remove the sending unit, which then allowed me to find out why the gas gage didn't work. The float was flooded. You might be able to see the droplets spraying out as I squeezed the float...

Then to finish the day, I found a leak on the gas tank, which had been patched at least twice before. Time to shop around for another one...

That leaves me to todays scrap pile. Oh and I spent about $10 on new 7/16" x 1" nuts, washers & bolts, for a total spent of $1003. I'm hoping to get the weld repairs done on the frame this weekend yet. And I'm debating on whether or not to get the fram sandblasted before painting it. It's pretty rusty yet. All I would have to do is remove a few bolts and lift the engine/tranny/t-case out and pull the driveshafts. Probably about $100 to get it done, but might be worth it. I think I am going to do the shackle flip also. I already have the leaf spring brackets to do it. I can either re-use the shackles or see how much new ones are, then replace some bushings. Depends on cost I guess.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 09-04-2010 at 07:37 PM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote