View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #119
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

Re: Prepping for a BBC conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by baclay9 View Post
Hey Kenny, are you still happy with your cam choice? Is it making plenty of vaccum to run your power brakes and such? It is hard to tell from the video but does it have a fairly choppy idle?

I ended up scoring a set of 781's and I think I am going to go ahead and have them opened up to 2.19/1.88 as you did. If you had it to do over again would you have some porting work done or are you happy with the performance as is?

If your setup is working well for you I would like to copy cat it so I will more or less know what to expect when I fire it up the first time. LOL

Also, are you running a hydrualic flat tappet cam?

I can't remember if you said or not but what stall are you running with that setup?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks man!!!
No problem.

The cam is pretty "choppy", people comment about it every time I take it out, which is a couple times a week. I've noticed a few times that the brakes are a bit hard to press on but it's only in the morning when I back it down the driveway. Once I get it warmed up, it's fine.

Several of us around here have a running joke about the cam... "I've got to get that miss fixed"

Since this is my first "hot rod", I don't have anything to compare it against. The heads came with the motor so I was lucky to get what I got. I'm sure I'll do something different when I get the '57 done. But, this motor has all the power I need. The Cam is like a Big German Shepard. Even the ponies stay away!!

The Cam is a hydraulic flat tappet. Somewhere on here should be all the part numbers I used when i ordered the top end for this motor which is (was) all new. The bottom end was sound so a rebuild of the heads was the only other thing I needed.

Valve train is a bit noisy but some say that's normal. I've got about 6000 miles on it now.

Here's some more vids from my youtube page;

Here's a link to a local thread with new paint on the truck back in the spring.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=402574

Good Luck!

Ken

Last edited by 87Lowrider; 09-07-2010 at 09:47 AM.
87Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote