View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
Todd Hepler
Rottenwood Garage Member

Re: Question about Stock Restorartions?

My $.02 -

It seems like a lot of folks are in the same boat I am - restoring a daily driver. Whats great about these trucks are that they are relatively plentiful and cheap; it seems like every auto parts store carries a decent selection of parts for us and you can find drivers on craigslist for under $1K every week.

I know I could have kept the original alternator/external voltage regulator on my DD 72, but why? I found a CS144 at the pull-a-part that will be more than I will ever need with regards to battery charging, electric fan, and eventual stereo system. And I learned some cool stuff in the process.

Same with the carb, intake, heads, power brake booster, etc.

I think the numbers matching needs are more suited to the guys who are building a 69 Camaro or 70 Cuda. Those will go up for sale at $60,000 - $100,000.

There's a guy out of FL advertising an all original, #matching, Big Block 72 Cheyenne Super in the Atlanta craigslist for under $20K. And has been for quite some time ... Its a beautiful truck and if I could afford it I would snatch it up and drive the piss out of it!!

I'm not saying these truck wont grow in popularity and value, but I think the abundance of great examples keeps the value lower than the rare muscle cars, and consequently less likely to be the recipient of a high $$, #'s matching resto.

-Todd
Todd Hepler is offline   Reply With Quote