View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #188
RckyMntnKng

Re: My Build Thread (year+) on 71 Jimmy 4x4

Couple updates.

I figured it would happen....The stock steering gearbox wouldnt hold up to the boggers (it was brand new, made it like 500 miles). Pulled it off and sent it to Texas so WTO (West Texas Offroad) could rebuild and port it out / set me up with the Redneck Ram Hydro Assist.

My stock D60 thin diff cover was leaking like a ***** around the flange and was just too warped to salvage - So I picked up a really BEEFY cover from GLO (Great Lakes Offroad) with an integrated drain and rock strap to weld the hydro tabs on.

Works like a charm now, 1 finger steer at all times, not jerky, no play - amazing. Allowed me to ditch the dual stabilizers - and smooth as butter up to 70mph no d-wobble. For now I set up from the cover to the tie-rod and when I go hi-steer later, it will be simple tab moving.

Also lets see - needed a spare carrier bad, and on the cheap. Picked up a tire carrier builders kit from AtoZ Fab - which consisted of a upgraded 1.5" 1200lb spindle, sleeve, races, bearings, grease cap, 8 lug plate, threaded T handle closure etc for $100. Then I took a spare roll bar I had, and cut it up, reinforced it and developed a setup I wanted. Will have better pics later, but I built a bracket to hold the spindle behind the tailgate thats incorporated into the roll bar itself and bolted to the floor. What I wanted to be able to do is have the tailgate down or up and still be able to latch the carrier. so it pivots above the tailgate. Sometimes I strap coolers onto the down tailgate when the cargo area is full and this leaves room on both sides when needed.

Another advantage i found out for this setup...it is very easy to get a heavy tire on and off the carrier when you can set it on the tailgate and bolt/unbolt.
Also the final configuration will have two Nato gas cans and the hi-lift mount.

Wheeled it all weekend - works excellent. Also Im running some 38x15 TSL radials on Recentered H1's with rock rings for the street and milder wheeling.
Pics to come...

Sorry for crap cell pics, will update these later with better.
Attached Images