View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #194
RckyMntnKng

Re: My Build Thread (year+) on 71 Jimmy 4x4

Quote:
Me like! Inboard/Outboard tirecarrier...Nice, don't think I have ever seen someone do that bee-feer
Do you sit in a little dark room and dream this stuff up or what? Or just drink a bunch of beer and the visions come too you in your sleep? Majic Mushrooms maybe? hahahaha
LOL I hear you on that one! I try to steer clear of mushrooms, but the beer helps everything go better now doesnt it.... Ive been thinking about how I wanted a carrier for a good 6 months while doing other projects on the truck. I kept thinking I would go with a hitch mounted type, or bolted to the bumper - but it pissed me off that I would forever be destined to keeping the tailgate up for the carrier to be closed up and latched.

I couldnt figure out why it wouldnt be ok to swing it from above the tailgate, because I had the oportunity to tie into some beefy areas for the weight. Hence i kinda decided on mutilating a roll bar that already had the bends i needed to space it out from the tailgate, so the spindle could be inboard. After that it was all measuring, cutting and welding - so im into the whole thing less than $150 smackers. I can run with the gate down or up and latch everything. Plus tghe thought of lifting a 150 tire up that high, made it a second plus on the system - open carrier, let tailgate down, close carrier, unbolt tire, re-bolt tire; while the tailgate holds it up for me. perfect

Quote:
Great problem solving. Looks good.
Thanks man! Too bad its winter almost - will have to get crazy beginning of summer on the wheeling I guess.