View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #138
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: Price of a paint job nowadays?

Sorry to hear about that. If the body work is complete I don't see how a spray with paint could be more than 3-5K unless you're using very expensive paint. I used PPG paint and clear and NAPA mid level primer and sealer and only had a few hundred total in supplies including tape, tac cloth, thinner, prep, etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwotr View Post
Major stumbling Block today....

Went to Maaco about 6 weeks ago to get an Estimate.
I did NOT have the Truck there, so this was Preliminary.
I was told $3K-$3.5K. I could handle that.
Fast forward to today. I go back in, just to "Clarify" a few details I missed before.
Like I forgot to tell them I wanted the Bed, "Rhino Lined".
The appraiser started spouting "Extras" for:
Special Paint
Taking off the Molding (I guess they were going to mask it off).
Some BS about the color Silver and spraying it in that County and the EPA.
Told me that the cost of Paint, JUST had an increase of $500.00.
EXTRA to take the Bed off to spray the Cab.

I said "You've GOT to be kidding me"!
Her response was "No...a lot of people don't care about the bottom portion of their Cab"

Within 5 Minutes the cost increased by 100% and was now at $6K and she "HOPES she could do it for that much"!

When I 1st started this journey, the quotes I got from 2 local body shops were $8500.00 and $9000.00. That was for BOTH Paint & Body Work.
Well the Body work is completed and for $6K that better include taking the Bed off and painting the Cab.
Maaco just priced themselves out of a Paint Job, from ME!

This may be a blessing in disguise because the Maaco I speak of is in another County and a 90 min drive over 2 mountains. The other 2 shops are a 20 minute drive away, where I could go and check the progress a couple times a week.

I feel $6K is an adequate amount for a "Daily Driver" paint job.
I'll keep you all posted what the next Paint Estimate is, but that will be in about 2 weeks.