View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #211
AJs72K5

Re: AJ's '72 Cruiser Crawler Build

Update 10/10/10: We have headers! and plug wires. Been really slow progress lately due to the lack of budget. I splurged a bit and picked up a set of headers from Jokers69. They're a custom design for 67-72 trucks. Doesn't appear that anybody has put a set on a 4x4, so, here goes.... I immediately ran into clearance issues on the #1 and #2 tube with the DIY4X crossmember. For grins, I put a factory crossmember back in and had the same issues. A couple more tweaks to the DIY4X crossmember and we have fitment!!!

Here's the list of the final changes I made to the DIY4X crossmember:
  1. Had new frame channel brackets made with the mount holes 1/4" closer to the bend to push them deeper into the frame. They fit flush to the frame edge.
  2. Had Kert cut me a set of 1/4" spacers to match the flange
  3. Cut 1" off the top of the flange and the spacers (more clearance at the top of the frame)
  4. Had Kert bend up a new set of block brackets that raise the engine 3/4". I actually think the normal height on these brackets puts the engine lower than stock.
  5. Last key piece here was to make an additional set of 1/8" spacers for the flange. When tightening everything down, it was pulling in the frame. Every 1/8" counted here for clearance.

Here's a pic of the final assembly

Now!!! On to the headers! 2" primaries with 3 1/2" collectors. 3/8" flange... no warping here

Nice clearance on all straight plug wires.... no 90* plugs needed

Frame clearance. After all was said and done, only the #1 tube is close, it's got a bit over 1/4" of clearance. Need to get in there and weld some patches back onto the top frame rail.

The money shots.... clearing the shackles and shackle bolts. AND CLEARING THE FRONT DRIVESHAFT OF THE CLOCKED UP 241!!!! They also don't hang below the frame.

Stabbed in the distributor.

That's all the excitement for now...

Gray Matter Build - 1972 K5 with some stuff
AJs72K5 is offline   Reply With Quote