View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
RuralRoute C-30

New trailer project

Yes, just another story of another shop time project ahead. Seems I keep adding to that list a lot lately.

So I had the day off on Columbus Day. For a 'day off' I decided it was a good day to take our 12' single axle trailer in tow looking for maybe a trade to a tandem. Wife was kind of convinced it was a good idea so the time was right before she actually heard I was actually leaving the house with cash in my pocket. (she listens always, but doesn't always "hear" the words I have figured out)

Stopped by a local dealer I've known for years who just had some arrive when I pulled into his lot and one was exactly what I was looking for; a 12' tandem. A deal was made.

I know, why so short a tandem? Here the method to my madness is wanting a trailer to haul loads with inside our budget as well within our needs. Actually it started when I began hauling firewood last summer where the round-trips were at times over 150 miles after finding a 12' single axle. Yet many loads such as I wanted to put on it (like firewood in bulk) and have risked on it are really just too heavy. Nothing bent or broken only from luck and the good lord being present on many a trip.Not to mention no run-ins with the DOT scale. For smaller loads the single axle did fine and the length has been easy to navigate. Yet for the real loads...does the phrase "on a wing and a prayer" ring a bell?

Yet with this upgrade, I figure that this 12' tandem, with the same twin 3500 lb Dexter axles under it that a 14,16 or 18' does, has less gross empty weight because it has less body/material than the long ones. Because of this lighter empty weight, with a 7k lb max weight when loaded, I figure I can haul higher capacity loads with a smaller trailer than a longer one without stressing the trailer providing I add height with side-racks. Plus I have had 16 and 18's in the past and rarely utilized their available deck space or they were overloaded because they had the space. Bent an axle once hauling 3 pallets of brick years ago on a 16' when I was young & dumber.

So now the fun begins as I get to build another set of side-racks for this new one. Taking from experience this one will be better than the first hopefully, but not much different. I actually used my brain on the first one! So just another project to get done I hope in the next week as I will have loads waiting to be picked-up by then.

Once complete though, the goal is to have a balanced rig for any and all of our hauling needs with a 12' tandem and the C-30 dump bed combination inside our budget. I think with this trailer I will have it.
I better, the wife is watching!

Now a trip to the lumber yard soon for more carriage bolts and boards. Currently savoring time in the pondering stage tonight...

Mark

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote