View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 12:00 AM   #261
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvetteman10 View Post
I know it's been said many, many, MANY times throughout this thread... but this thread is truly awesome.
Thanks!!

Quote:
I've read through it multiple times. I would absolutely love to build a burb like yours. I've always wanted to do a diesel swap. Unfortunately I am a student with no $$$ so this dream is a long way away.
Nothing wrong with having to wait a bit. This truck is not my first vehicle (I still have my first, but this is not it). Get a good education so you can make a bunch of money without having to work too hard for it.

Quote:
Your fabrication knowledge and overall mechanical knowledge seem to be rather extensive. Where did you acquire it?
We had no money when I was growing up, so I had to learn how to fix whatever broke (including vehicles). As far as fabrication goes, I took a welding class in high school, but beyond that I just look at stuff either physically or mentally and figure out what is going to break and add a plate here or a gusset there or use 3/8 plate instead of 1/4. It's funny, in all of my years of doing stuff, I have never been accused of building something too light. Not necessarily always a good thing, but it has served me well so far. I also have a friend that I bounce ideas off of and between the two of us we ususally come up with something very functional.

Quote:
I am sooooo jealous. Are you in some sort of fabrication or engineering as a career?
Well, uh, no. I am a steering wheel actuator in a big truck that relocates freight. Maybe I missed my calling. <dunno>

Quote:
Cherish that Cummins burb and keep being a great father.
Thank you!! I think I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova70 View Post
Awesome build man. I've been throwing the idea around of trying to put a cummins, but I might go the LS route instead.
I like those LS motors. It is almost unbelievable the numbers that come out of a basically stock motor. It's interesting, I did all of this to mine and I'm awed by some of the conversions that I have seen using the LS motors.