View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #18
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Re: My "new" '79 ChevMC

Just a quick update:

Got the brakes wrapped up (more or less) a couple weeks ago. Ended up with new hard lines, hose, wheel cylinders, shoes, and hardware out back -- the only things reused were the drums, which looked to be in good [enough] condition. Up front it was new calipers, hoses, and one hard line (passenger side -- was easier to cut it off and bend a new one than to try to unscrew it from the hose end of things due to the cramped conditions there). I think the majority of the problem was that the left front hose was fubar, although it didn't help that there was literally nothing inside the right rear drum -- no shoes, no hardware, nada except the e-brake lever.

Used my new Mityvac to bleed the brakes -- great device! The power part of the power brakes doesn't seem to be doing anything, but the brakes lock up if required and for the first time since coming to my place it starts and stops under its own power. Made a deal yesterday for a different power booster, so we'll see once that arrives if it solves the no-power problem. The CPP suspension stuff arrived a couple weeks ago, but I've had to pack it away for the winter as other projects are more immediately pressing.

That's it for now. Likely won't be much more until the spring. Oh, the joy of having no usable garage!

'72 Chevy SWB stepside - [ Build Thread ]
'79 ChevMC SWB fleetside - [ Build Thread ]
'64 Chevy SWB fleetside & '66 Chevy SWB stepside (waiting in the wings...)

Last edited by brossow; 10-19-2010 at 09:56 AM.
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote