View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 11:57 PM   #327
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

I got those pesky bolts out of the seat mount holes. Didn't have to lift the tub either, they are just forward of the gas tank. I ended up just using a die grinder to enlarge the holes enough to get a socket on them. I could also reach the fuel sending unit by hand, but the wire connector is corroded and would not go on or stay on, so I'll have to see if I have another one to use and splice it.

Since I was able to take care of those things, I finished installing the body mounts. I added a few washers as shims and just got the bolts finger tight for now. I'll tighten them down after the doors and top are back on it, to see if more shims will be needed to keep the door openings straight.

The roll bar needs to be tweeked some to work in this. It was from a 73 and newer style. The front mount pads need to be trimmed some so it can be moved forward a bit. The rear mount pads will need spacers if I want it to be square. Seems like it was configured to lean back some, not sure what's going on there.

I mounted up the brake booster, but just finger tight. I need to buy a new seal that fits into the firewall hole. I just wanted it up out of the way and not resting on the brakes lines and radiator hose.

This tub is a 71 I believe and set up for a double wall top. I have a pretty good double wall top and a pretty good single wall top. Both need some work. I'll probably use the single wall, so I'll have to figure out what changes need to be made to mount that up. Near future plans, get the rest of the body panels mounted up, throw the rest of the parts inside and put it away for the winter. I have another truck that I need to get back to.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote