View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Re: New rag joint issues

RF, did it do this before the swap out? Physical positioning of the boxes is the same, so the likelyhood of the rag being defective in some way is remote. I would disconnect the joint and pull it back and then try to turn the wheels and see if it still has a binding condition. If at that point it does, and it didn't before, the overcenter adjustment is wrong (the nut\bolt assembly on top of the steering gear) loosen the nut just a touch while holding the stud still with an allen wrench, then back the stud out 1\8 to 1\4 turn and tighten the nut and recheck. There should be a slight drag or tightness when the box is centered (vehicle going straight ahead) Of course I am assuming you have checked ALL the other joints\connections in the front end. I might add, if it's 4WD, take a look at the front drive axel "U" loints. I don't know how many of those I replaced over the years, and they will cause all sorts of funny symptoms with the steering system. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote