Thread: my build thread
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #15
sams60gmc

Re: my build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy54gmc View Post
Hey Sams, just curious im building a 54 gmc and i grafted a 75 nova sub on the front and i am in the process of doing the same thing you did to your rear. 2x4 box building it due to rear end damage to the frame. My question is did you just butt weld you tubing together in the rear and the whole z thing in the front that doesnt throw the alignment off or give you steering and handeling nightmares? Also how come you built your rear support for the four link so tall in the back, just to clear the axle? The reason i ask all these dumb questions is because this is my first time building sub frames and i dont want all the headaches down the road. Any technical info you can give would be greatly appreciated. By the way your building skills are great..Thanks Troy.
The rear end of the frame was grafted into the stock frame and then fish plated on the side, I think you can see it in a previous picture. I don't know the reason I built my front truss so tall, I think it was to clear the drive shaft. This is my first time building anything like this so I was kind of shooting in the dark with the rear end.
I hope the front end doesn't give me any alignment nightmares, I measured about a million times when doing it. The steering would be a big problem if I stayed with a steering box but I decided to go rack and pinion and tuck it up into the frame. Should only have to buy 2 Flaming river universal joints to hook it up.
Thanks for the comments! Hope I gave you a little insight

1960 GMC short fleet, full frame build...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=329718
sams60gmc is offline   Reply With Quote