View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 02:25 AM   #6
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Re: Cutting A/C Vent Holes in Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop34 View Post
magwa - did you use factory vent balls or vintage? Did you cut into the slanted part of the dash at all?

geary - what was cheesey about the vintage vents? I'm starting to think that that would be the easier route, although I already have the factory vents to install.
Well, last time I installed Vintage Air, I used factory vents. But I sort of like the VA vents. Different strokes, I guess. I think the VA vents, while not stockers or "correct", are less obtrusive looking and are a really easy install. No screws, etc. I've seen many broken
vent mounts at the screw holes on originals. As for the VA, the fit is just a hole. And then and come in from the back of the dash with the threaded "collar" to pick up the threads on the vent that you push thru from the front.

I used the VA template that's in the kit for placement at first. Then, I decided to look and feel around the back for the spot that was the most flat but had the most clearance. Basically, it was logical. And, even for me, a no-brainer.

However, I DID learn from the last time I made this cut in a non-air dash to take it easy with the hole saw...use a sharp one, a good drill bit. And, I opted for higher drill speed and lower pressure on the drill. Last time I did this, the hole saw
jumped out of the groove it was cutting and left a little gouge in the dash I had to look at for a while.

This time...slower and smart(er).
But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 11-16-2010 at 02:28 AM.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote