View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #14
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: NV4500 swap is underway

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj8198 View Post
Im running the 5:61 with upgraded main shaft and 32 spline out. shifts nice with the broad bb power band.

What series center force are you planning to use?

What kind of fly wheel does the 8.1 have? 1 piece? 2?
Man, you are really getting me excited to get this together now! The 8.1L and 465 is like driving a sports car engine with a dump truck transmission so I look forward to better matched powertrain!

I am running a DF024909 Centerforce Dual Friction clutch and pressure plate, which is actually a 12” clutch and pressure plate for a 73-95 7.4L (pre-internal slave cylinder). I am using the 7.4L clutch because it is cheaper than the 8.1L clutch and pressure plate plus I am not running the hydraulic internal slave cylinder/release bearing combo that would normally be found behind an 8.1L that requires a special pressure plate. Actually, the Centerforce clutch I just removed the same part number that I installed 12 years ago when the 465 was swapped in. That clutch as been behind my old 350, 454 HO and the 8.1L for the past 6,000 miles then will live on in my '78 wrecker project later.

The 8.1L flywheel is one piece like a 7.4L but unique to the 8.1L due to balancing. To use the 7.4L clutch I just had to remove a few dowel pins in the flywheel.

I just picked up the flywheel this morning from be resurfaced.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote