View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 01:32 AM   #18
Musclerodz

Re: NV4500 swap is underway

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
I appreciate the info Steve.

I agree 100% that is indeed the best and strongest method of doing a 4500/205. I have been looking for a 1985 or newer round adapter 205 for years to do exactly that and just can’t find one (without paying $1000 for it!), which is why I settled for the AA kit. It was my understanding the 4500’s tail shaft has to be shortened a ¼’ or so to mate to round 205, but that would be no biggie. I would gladly do that if I could just find one or empty case for that matter. If I could find a bare round adapter 205, I would keep the AA bell housing and tcase shifter bracket and call it a day. Heck, I have a hydraulic bellhousing for a NV4500 but it is for the internal slave/release bearing type which I am not fond of. Hell, I'd rather have a mechanical linkage than the internal slave.

As you mentioned, I really don’t like the idea using another coupler between the 4500 and 205 again either like the 465 and 205 had. I am not excited about the length of the AA kit either. Nor was I impressed with the folks at AA when I spoke with them on the phone. I ordered my kit through Summit..

I think I’ll give Geartech and Watson a call and see if they have anymore bare round 205 cases left. Is Geartech still around?? Their website looks like it hasn’t been updated in a few years.
been there, done all this. the length issue is not in the AA adapter, it is in the difference in the 2 transmissions. the 4500 is just that much bigger. the other issue is that in the 4wd, the engine is set back further in the truck than the 2wd. I ended up moving the motor foward to clear the buddy buckets, and raising it 1" to clear front diff. A lifted truck would have been easier. I would suggest running the hydraulic slave setup, the factory retrun spring on the pedal is just too stiff if you plan on driving the truck much at all. drove great when done even with 4.11 gears. hell of a lot of work though

Last edited by Musclerodz; 11-18-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Musclerodz is offline   Reply With Quote