View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 03:11 AM   #289
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfairchild19 View Post

I noticed this and figured i would post up real quick and comment on the rest tomorrow.

Hopefully you can put my kindergarten drawing into perspective here.

This is what I was trying to explain by saying offsetting this section of the frame by creating a "C" in the boxed frame for the compressor to lay in. Like I said, I am not sure this is the best option. I know I can do it and make it stronger than the original frame but I am afraid there is a better option out there.
Yeah, I'm not digging that idea too much. Do you absolutely have to cut that out or could you possibly just notch the upper or lower part of the rail?? I had my motor set so low that I would have had to notch the lower rail. That was the final nail convincing me to cash some paychecks at Cummins for the associated parts to convert it. If you can get away with notching the rail, I say go for it as I have seen a few of these conversions with notched rail that worked well. You can add beef back in if necessary once you have your clearance. But, as far as the offset notch that you illustrated, I don't like that mainly because, being four wheel drive, you have a spring mount forward of the area you need to cut out/move. If it was a 2wd, I'd say go for it, but I'm not feeling the warm fuzzies on the 4x.

Check out the possibilities of a rail notch (possibly move the motor up or down a bit--you can still do this at this point...) and let me know what you think.

What's up with the cut up forward crossmember??