View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #290
dfairchild19

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
Yeah, I'm not digging that idea too much. Do you absolutely have to cut that out or could you possibly just notch the upper or lower part of the rail?? I had my motor set so low that I would have had to notch the lower rail. That was the final nail convincing me to cash some paychecks at Cummins for the associated parts to convert it. If you can get away with notching the rail, I say go for it as I have seen a few of these conversions with notched rail that worked well. You can add beef back in if necessary once you have your clearance. But, as far as the offset notch that you illustrated, I don't like that mainly because, being four wheel drive, you have a spring mount forward of the area you need to cut out/move. If it was a 2wd, I'd say go for it, but I'm not feeling the warm fuzzies on the 4x.

Check out the possibilities of a rail notch (possibly move the motor up or down a bit--you can still do this at this point...) and let me know what you think.

What's up with the cut up forward crossmember??
Now you can see why I was so hesitant to recess/offset the frame so much. I agree, if it was 2wd I would be alright because there is no weight on the end/front of the frame to create leverage(like the leaf mounts will) except the bumper and core support.

Here is a picture of the clearance that I currently have between the frame rail and the bracket itself. If you look further you can see the partial box that I have made for the frame to mock up the motor mounts and crossmember and how close the stock 94 motor side mounts are to the new boxed portion of the frame.

The crossmember was hacked on by the PO apparently. I am going to run a piece of 2x4 3/16 wall tube in its place but I didnt want to remove the original until I got my drive line in place so that I would have as little movement in the frame as possible.

Since it doesnt appear that notching the frame is an option any more, I believe my last resource is to start shelling out the cash for the bracket, compressor, alternator, water inlet, tensioner, belt, and all of the headaches that go along with running the f800 setup.....
dfairchild19 is offline   Reply With Quote