View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

69 C20 4x4 project - the mutant

This project started life as an inexpensive 1969 vintage factory A/C cab for sale on CL that I was thinking about using to build up instead of my rust infested 67 C10 cab. Turned out the guy was also trying to sell the bed, front clip and chassis separately on CL as well and had a clean title for the whole thing.

A few hours later I had the whole thing delivered to my house.

All it is missing is the windshield, gauge cluster, the doors, hood hinges, brake booster and the engine & trans. I just so happen to have a spare brake booster, engine & trans so no big deal on the missing items.

Floors are in far better shape than my 67 C10 cab and with factory A/C and a clear title this thing is destined to become a whole truck again. The radio area is even untouched unlike my 67 that had been butchered by a PO some time in the past. I would guess the truck spent its early years in southern California by the AAA of So Cal sticker in the rear window. It is the exact same sticker that is in the rear window of my 68 Camaro that I bought in LA so it was probably put on there when the truck was new.

I scored a new windshield, a complete set of doors with hinges and a tail gate shell minus latch parts for a decent price a couple days later so now all I need is the windshield gasket, a set of hood hinges and the tail gate guts. I am building a gauge cluster for the 67 C10 so I have the stock cluster from it to use.

Turns out somebody in the past had put a correct vintage open knuckle drum brake Dana-44 4x4 front axle into the thing to make it a 4x4 with the truck arm rear suspension still in place. I wondered if this was possible when I was thinking about the 4x4 conversion project I am doing to my 67 C10.

I took some quick measurements and it looks like the output shaft of the transfer case will be about 14" from the truck arm crossmember. With a little luck I can run a one piece driveshaft in this thing. Don't know where it will be in relation to the center of the crossmember opening yet but it should be pretty close to right.
Attached Images

68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars

Last edited by 68 TT; 04-03-2011 at 12:35 AM.
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote