Thread: 1979 c30 454
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
spudz

Re: 1979 c30 454

Got bored went out and pulled the shifter out to see if anything was wrong... First off I want everyone to know that I have NEVER been in a sm465 trans EVER. I dont know anything about them so please be gentle if I ask something stupid. As soon as I pulled the boot I started seeing stuff wrong.... Looks like one of the lock pins is gone and somone put a roll pin in its place. Then looks like someone else put a hose clamp on it to keep the pin in.. Does anyone know where I can get these pins for the case? To replace the loose roll pin. SO I pulled the shifter.. Looks like someone welded the handle to correct something? or is that factory.. Also on the lower part of the shifter, the part that goes in the end is held on by a roll pin. It fits very loose. Also the hole in the shifter itself that the pin hose through is bigger then the pin itself so this may be why its so loose. If this is the case, they shifter is garbage.. And if it is, would there be any reason why I couldnt just weld the part that fits in the end to the handle so it wont move? Atleast till I find a new shifter. With the shifter like it is and the sensitive steering its kind of a scary ride haha. I think I will make a post on the main forum for this as well.
Attached Images

2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote