Thread: Berthas Build
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #20
dfairchild19

Re: Berthas Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
I'll check on what I have available for numbers etc. I got some deals on my parts, so my prices will not be relevant. The alternator that I bought from a local truck dealer was one wire right out of the box, so I don't think he is really doing anything for you on that one. I think most big truck alternators are self-energizing. There are a couple choices on compressors, so you will have to figure out which one will work. I reused my stock tensioner, but I relocated it.

3285102 might be the thermostat housing

3930822 is the connection, water inlet

3906697 are the seals for this part to the motor and to the hose fitting (x2)

3910495 M12 x 1.75 x 30 (X3) Bolts to retain housing to block

3900679 M10 x 1.50 x 80 (X3) Bolts to retain hose fitting

3930838 Bracket Belt tensioner

3924026 Belt tensioner asm

3904446 M10 x 1.50 x 70 Tensioner bolt

3918275 Alternator Pulley

3930820 lower alt mount

3920862 Brace, alternator (forward/upper bracket)

Sanden 4667 compressor. This is the one that I used. There is also a unit available off of a Class 8 Sterling tractor that has hose fittings coming out of the side of the rear head instead of out the rear like the one I used.

The bolt number are for reference only (you will need these bolts to mount this stuff, but buy them somewhere else). I have a belt tensioner mounting plate here if you decide you need one. I'm not going to use it. Look real close at how I ran my belt. It wouldn't surprise me if you end up with something very similar by the time you are done.
Thanks for those part numbers. They worked out great and I have some of them on order from my local Cummins dealer rather than working with an online dealer. This should speed things up a bit. In fact, I think that my parts from Cummins will be in this afternoon.

I am having a set of motor mounts/cross member cut out by a member on 4btswaps that I will be able to modify to fit my frame and stock 94 motor side mounts as well as the upper alt bracket notched to run the stock 94 water inlet and a lower tensioner bracket that is made to clear the frame a bit better. He does some pretty incredible work from what I can tell and sometimes my time saved from having all of the trial and error is worth more than the money it would take to just have someone cut them out for me.

Quote:
There are only two different sizes of fittings. 16mm and 18mm. It is readily apparent which is which. Stop by and talk to your Parker store and discuss what you are doing and have them give a few suggestions on how to get the desired results. This is why having the ends off of some donor hoses may help--may not though.

Pump pressure hose fitting: 16mm
Hydroboost from pump: 18mm

Hydroboost to steering box: 16mm
Steering box from Hydroboost: 18mm

steering box return: 16mm

Get some extra o-rings. I use fuel injection line o-rings. Standard Motor Products is a number SK26. Very good thing to have around when you have that many fittings in service on one vehicle.
I will try to make some time possibly Wednesday when I am up that way to stop in and see what they can offer for my situation.

Quote:
Make sure that xj shaft will talk to your steering column. The xj shafts that I have seen use a double d shaped femal end on the column end--not a splined female like your current intermediate shaft has.
I bought an aftermarket floor shift column to replace my stock auto column and it has the male end similar to the double d female end of the xj shaft. That column with an 81-87 box should work perfect with an xj shaft if my research was all correct.

Quote:
Hopefully yours willl take less time than mine. That list of part number took close to two weeks to figure out because I had no engine serial number to reference for parts. Nothing Cummins gets done withour a serial number or CPL number--NOTHING. There is no "I need the part that comes on all the Dodges that looks like this and does that" Relply: "Got a serial number??"
Luckily I found a guy who was a glutten for punishment and had the patience of a saint and he searched Cummins for many days digging up all the numbers and parts. I did what I could via the internet, but he really save my bacon on this part of the project.
The folks such as yourself that has provided all of these part numbers for these never ending rare parts allows me to spend more time out in the barn working on this beast rather than in a computer chair researching the crap out of the smallest details. This has already helped greatly as I think I am further than I ever thought I would be at this point and hopefully my research will contribute to other future projects of many others out there.
dfairchild19 is offline   Reply With Quote