View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #38
mbrund

Re: Slamm'n twin turbo '65

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdstreettito View Post
Nice build! I know what the NRE parts cost. Phew, too much for my palate. $10500 for the alien intake/fuel system? No thanks. :P
NRE motors can cost a pretty penny. Let's put it this way, I got the motor for a little less than a ZZ572 crate would cost you today!

This motor was built for a NRE magizine shoot. I bought the motor from a guy that had purchased it from Tom then fell on hard times and never got his vette project underway. The motor was still in the shipping crate sealed up. I talked to Tom before buying it to learn the history. As it turns out, the guy took the original turbos and wastegates and exchanged them for larger units, so they have never been run.

We took the pan and valve covers off (the prior owner had backed off the rockers for storage), we scoped the cylinders and every thing looked great. We resealed the motor, fogged it, added oil, etc. While it can make more horses than when it left NRE due to the new larger turbos, Tom suggeted that I don't due to the block setup, so we will keep it dialed under 900HP!

1965 - Chevy C10 short fleetside, dropped, chopped, shaved, smoothed, boxed, narrowed, 9" & ladders, twin turbo 857 bhp, you name it....
2005 Dodge Dakota 4x4
2005 Saab 93 (Turbo)
2006 Chevy Impala SS

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2260752
mbrund is offline   Reply With Quote