View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #19
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Windshield Washer Motor

You should keep going until you get the answer you need. I did a search on the forum and found a thread that may help or add to the confusion. It has a post in it by Putter that describes what each wire does so I copied it for you. He is a sharp guy so I believe he is right. I haven't found another post to confirm his description.

Now, you can find out which wire does what by grounding it at the motor and seeing what happens. You can do this at the wiper switch if you can get to it but if there is a break in the wire anywhere the wiper motor won't work. I suspect you have a bad switch but we'll run through it anyway.

Now you know that the yellow wire is hot whenever the key is on and you have confirmed that in one of your posts above.
According to Putter the black wire is the low speed switch wire so if you ground it the wipers should run on low speed.

The light blue wire is high speed, BUT, the light blue wire and the black wire both have to be grounded for the high speed to work. I forgot about that.

The dark blue wire is the washer motor wire, but all it actually does is activate a solenoid so that the motor lobe on low speed works a pump in the washer. to do this the wiper switch when pushed in grounds the dark blue wire and the black wire to the motor. This was explained by dsy 1 in this thread.

SO if you hear the motor running and the washer solenoid clicking, the pump should be pumping fluid if the tank has fluid and the hose is good and the pump seals are good.

The below is from Putter's post.

Name:  wipermotor.JPG
Views: 10221
Size:  93.2 KB

Re: wiper motor wiring
(See photo below)

Wiper switch plug:
Black wire = low speed
Dark blue (center) wire = wash
Light blue wire = high speed

The wiper switch wires are ground wires. If you remove the switch and simply jump them to ground, it will make each function work.
**NOTE - for high speed, you have to ground BOTH light blue & black at the same time.

Wiper motor plug:
Yellow wires are hot. One goes to fuse box and the other goes to the other terminal on the wiper motor. (see photo)
Dark blue wire connects directly to the dark blue wire on the switch plug.

( WIPER MOTOR PLUG):
Yellow wire - jumps around to the other yellow wiper motor plug. (see photo)
Light blue wire - connects directly to the light blue wire on the switch plug.

( WIPER MOTOR PLUG #2):
single black wire - connects directly to the black wire on the switch plug.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote