View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 09:13 PM   #28
Thatguy

Re: How to figure out what I have ?

The drivetrain is cool if you plan on a orginal restoration. Since the Dana 60 is under the rear, and not the HO rear, swap it out! lol. Depending on your intentions for this truck, a Disc braked open knuckle Dana 44 up front or a 60 would improve turning radius and braking capability. The SM420 is highly sought after with the Jeep guys with CJ5/flat fender guys. They are compact for the short wheel base and offer a 7.05 first gear! Thats the lowest first gear availible, I think? The T221 could be replaced with a stout NP205, or some of the later NP208/NP241 combos, which the last two are chain driven, but light weight aluminum cases. The NP205 is stout so is a Atlas Transfer Case. You could swap a 14 bolt rear, disc brake up grades are cheap as are Detriot lockers. The steering is where Im puzzled, most pre-69 GM used a odd steering box, there fore no provisions for a common Saginaw box. When I say this I mean the frame does not raise out away from the the frame at the the steering box mounting area, my 68 4x4 was this way. All the other stuff above I mentioned above about the drivetrain depends on what you want to do with the truck? It is a cool looking truck!!
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote