Thread: My 66 GMC LWB
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 12:05 AM   #53
AZ66GMC
Desert Dweller

Re: My 66 GMC LWB

I spent the day putting on some of the Christmas goodies that I got

First I installed the head light relay kit that I got from LMC. I figured that this would be the easiest way, but boy was I wrong...

I had no problem installing the kit, but when I fired up the light switch, it was another story... The outside lights worked fine, but the inner two lights had a slight glow to them. When I hit the high beams, they all worked fine.

First, I thought that I had a bad ground, so I installed a ground wire from each headlight bucket to the battery. That helped a little, but the inner two light still had a glow to them with the low beams on. I pulled the grill out again to look at the wiring again and make sure that I didn't have and loose connections.

As I was looking everything over, I compared the original harness to the new one and noticed that the outer headlight connectors on the new harness had the green and black wires in opposite locations. I looked into the headlamp (sealed halogen) and noticed that this high beam wire (green) was connecting to the common terminal on the back of the headlight... So I was running the power through the common ground for the two filaments instead of the high beam filament... I swapped the wires in the connectors and they are now working properly... Of coarse, now one of my high beam lamps (4001) burnt out in the process...

So, to sum it up, if I had known that this harness from LMC was made in Taiwan, I would have just got some new headlight wire connectors, wire, relays and just wired it myself... I didn't want to return it thinking that it should work fine and didn't want to disappoint the wifey...

Oh well, live and learn

Tony

66 GMC LWB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399283
AZ66GMC is offline   Reply With Quote