View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #15
cleszkie

Re: Suspension Questions for my '71 K5..

I second Burt's recommendation on using only Moog ball joints and tie rod ends, and Timken bearings. I have had nothing but good performance from these on my rebuilds.

As far as springs go, I started of with a set on Superlift 6" springs front and rear, but found the ride to be a little stiffer than I wanted. I then removed a single leaf from each of the front springs (first leaf back from main leaf) to soften it up a bit. This worked pretty good. When I added my D60 up front, the truck stance became too high in front due to the larger tube diameter, so I decided to install 4" leaf springs up front. Went with the Skyjacker Softride springs. Absolutely love the ride quality. These springs provide the right lift, but are made with thinner leaves which are much more subtle. In addition, these spring packs have more leaves (made of thinner leaves) which make them thicker packs, which allows the leaves to be flatter to get the desired lift. This also contributes to the subtle ride quality.

For shocks I run Bilstein gas charged units (no bypasses). Like the ride from these better than the non-gas charged shocks I ran in the past.

Hope this helps in your decisions.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote